Saturday 14 February 2015

It is all about us: Sangam Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Seeing Aman and Kaka in front of himself, Arnav was relieved. And felt half of the burden off his shoulder. Otherwise, until now he was breathing in a regret that because of him they both had to go through a life threatening situation. Since they were there, safe, he had to just make sure that they both returned safely to Mumbai.

"Aman, Kaka!" he said, and walked in a rush towards them. "Thank god, you both are here and safe."

"Sir, yes, we both are fine by God grace," Aman said, he was too relieved to see him fit. If Khushi's friends hadn't told him that he was fine, he would have not even stayed at the hospital for his treatment.

"Kaka, you didn't get enough injuries right? You are fine, right?" he asked, restless.

"Yes, baba, I am absolutely fine. How are you? You must have gotten injuries, you fell down the hill."

"Kaka, there is nothing to worry about. I am fully recovered now."

"Baba, if Deviyani madam comes to know about this accident she will be really mad."

That was so, he thought.

"Baba, I don't know how did the brakes of the car failed? I got it fully checked, and on our way it was perfectly fine, till that accident happened.

About this even Aman was concerned, he looked at Arnav worried. "Don't worry, I will find out about it," Aman said. "But, sir, we did stop at the tea shop on the way, that too near this village. Do you think this could be the work of the person who doesn't want you to buy the land that you are after? Because they might know that we are here and our purpose."

"It could be," he said, being little unsure. He changed the topic giving no hint of his past and unnecessary tension to his fellow mates.

"Aman, did you get to call Nani or you called her?"

"It's not long ago she called, sir. I told her that your phone broke down. And you will call her as soon as you get a new one."

Arnav was worried again, he had lied his Nani to come to Jagatpur. And he knew if he didn't return, she will find out his whereabouts. She has done everything to keep herself and him from this village, and if she get even a hint behind the reason of him to come back to this place, he was gone.

"Aman, get me a new phone," he said.
"Yes, sir."

***
"Hello, Nani, how are you?" he said, concealing his fear.
"Good afternoon, Chote, how are meetings going in Goa?" she asked. "Finally thought of mine came in your mind."
"Nani, it's nothing like that. I was so busy and my phone broke down."
"Yes, Aman told me."
"Nani, you tell me how are you?" he tried to sound normal.
"I am really good, son. When you are coming? Come before I go to England."

Arnav shut his eyes in relief at a thought that he didn't have to worry about her since she will be leaving to England. And he could stay at Jagatpur until his job was done.

"England, when?" he asked.

"This coming week, by the way which hotel you are staying in?"

"Nani, I am staying at the guest house."

"Hmm...I am here in Goa. Tell me where is the guest house I come to see you."

"What?" he almost shouted. "I mean, you are here in Goa, Nani."

"Yes, why? Why are you so surprised."

"Surprised? Me no."

"Shit," he muttered to himself, as he was already thinking how he would reach Goa.

"Chote, you didn't tell me where is the guest house?" Nani asked.

"Nani, I text you the address. But I will see you in the evening," he said. "Right now I am on the cruise with my clients," he said whatever came into his mind at the moment. He was sweating in fear. He knew he was in a big trouble.

"Chote, are you hiding something from me?"

"Hiding, no, Nani. What I would hide?"

"That you know," she said.

"No, Nani. I am not hiding anything."

"I was just pulling your leg, Chote. Come back. I am dying to see you."

"Yes, Nani," he said. He scratched his head thinking how he would leave when he had to convince Khushi's father to get her married to him. Plus the problem that she had already said yes to Rudra. It was going to be hard to change their decisions especially when Rudra was adamant to get married to Khushi. But for now he had to just send message to Khushi, telling her that he had to leave for few days. Now leaving Khushi alone was troubling him. He knew she was going to understand his problem. And it wasn't that her family going to get her and Rudra married within a week. That thought gave him a little relief.

"Aman, we have to return back to Mumbai for few days," he conveyed.

Then he didn't know how to contact Khushi and get all his bag packs. "I have to get all my bags, and from there I will go back, even I will get to tell Khushi know that I will leave," he decided.

***
"Rudra, bhai, that shehre babu is leaving."
"Leaving, where?"
"To Mumbai. And he is going to Haveli to let Khushi bhabi know this and to get his luggage."
"Oh!" he murmured. In fraction of seconds he had a plan ready in his head. "Run now to haveli and tell Thakur ji, and Khushi's brother that my father wants to see them."
"What will happen with that?"
"You just don't listen the whole thing," he said angrily.
"Sorry, bhai."
"Do you know where is Khushi?"
"Yes, bhabi, and all her bhabis has gone to the hospital for Anjali bhabi's check up."
"Looks like my good time is going on. That priest was right. Khushi is only written in my fate. You become Gupta's servant and throw his luggage in his face. If he will ask you let Khushi know something, tell him that you will."
"I got it, bhai," he said and ran to get his job done.

***
Arnav went to Haveli with a hope in his heart that he will meet Khushi and her family as well, and if possible even talk about their alliance and then he won't have to worry about anything. But his all hopes came crashing when he found none was at home.

"Excuse me," Arnav said. And Rudra's friend turned.
"Yes, sir!"
"Can you tell where is everyone?"
"Sir, right now no one is at home."
"No one?"
"No, sir."
"May I know where they are and when they are coming?" he enquired.
"Sir, Thakur ji and his sons are gone out for some work. And ladies are gone out for a shopping. They will be here by evening. Sir, may I know who you are?"
Arnav was in deep thoughts now. He was going to be late if he had waited till evening.
"I am Arnav, can you please give my luggage? It is in the guest room."
"Yes, sir I know you. But sir why luggage? Are you going somewhere?"
"Yes, can you please get my luggage?" he asked. He was angry and upset at the same time.
"Okay, sir!"

He decided to write a letter.

He grabbed a scarp paper from the table and a pen from his pocket.

***


Khushi,

I am sorry to tell you that due to the some reason I have to leave to Mumbai, but I promise that I will come back very soon (within a week). Till then please make sure that you do everything to postpone engagement or even the marriage. Khushi, it will be so hard to spend even a single minute without you. I am leaving my number, you may call me. Rest I will tell you everything on phone.

Take care of yourself.

Yours,
Arnav.

Rudra crumpled the letter in his hands. "Sure, she will call you, Mr. Arnav. Now I see before you come back how I haven't made Khushi completely mine."

"Get the marriage preparations start," he amused.

His friends danced in happiness.

***
"Arnav, sir, we are getting late. Please sit in the car," Aman said.

Arnav still looked backwards. He didn't want to go, but he knew if he had to save a chance to come back to Khushi and get what he wanted, he had to leave.

***
"Khushi, Mr. Arnav has gone back to Mumbai," Savitri said as soon as she entered Khushi's room. "My auntie said she saw him with his other two friends leaving."

Khushi looked at her in bewilderment. "This is totally rubbish. He said he will be coming to Haveli today."

"Khushi, I told you what I was told."

Anjali looked at her. "Khushi, babu ji, has fixed your engagement date with Rudra."

"Now I should leave," Savitri said.

"Khushi, I don't think Arnav really meant his words."

Khushi fell on the floor, when her own body gave up on her.

"Khushi, get hold of yourself."

Khushi didn't say a word, feeling callous. Anjali knew if she tried to pacify her now it wouldn't work. "Khushi, forget him as your bad dream.

Khushi looked at her instantly, and statement made by Anjali forced her to break her silence.

"Bhabi, you haven't seen him, you haven't talked to him, I have. I know there must be some reason as he had to leave like this. . He will be back. Very very soon. I have promised that I will wait for him, even if I have to wait for forever," she said, confidently, looking deep into Anjali's eyes. But tears did form in her eyes.