Monday 16 February 2015

It has been chapter 9

Chapter 9

At around 2:00 PM, he woke up, his body was burning with fever. He moaned, tried to get up, but only to fall back on the bed, his throat was dry. Looked like still nobody was at home.

When he knew his health was not something he can he was okay with, he called his doctor and asked him to come home for his checkup.

***
"Good afternoon, Mr. Raizada!" Doctor said.

Other than muttering, "Hello!" to him he couldn't say anything else.

"Mr. Raizada, what's wrong?" Doctor asked. As he saw his eyes were shutting.

He shook his head, "I don't know!" he said.

"Let me check!" Doctor said. "Please, Mr. Raizada, lay down."

Doctor helped him. "Mr. Raizada, your burning with fever."

"I checked my sugar in the morning, I think it's low!"

"I am afraid, Mr. Raizada!" Doctor said as he tugged thermometer under his tongue. And took his blood sample.

"Mr. Raizada, I think you have not eaten anything. Where is your family? I don't see them!"

"They had gone out for a while!" he said. "They just left!" he lied.

"Mr. Raizada, you have a high fever and blood pressure is too low. You were right the sugar levels are low as well."

Doctor had to hurriedly inject glucose inside his body. "How long you have not eaten anything?"

"I drank coffee in the morning and a fever tablet."

"Mr. Raizada, without eating anything?"

"I..." he was unable to speak. Instead he shook his head.

"If in few hours it didn't go well you need to admit yourself in the hospital. Also, the concern is you have left alcohol all of sudden. You are running the risk of getting heart attack and the diabetes. If you really want to leave do it slowly!"

"It won't be needed," he said.
"I have warned you, Mr. Raizada. Rest I think fever, is because of the low sugar and blood pressure. It will be okay with the glucose dose I have given you. Please eat on time!"

"Thank you doctor for coming. And please don't tell this to anyone in the family. They will all be worried."

"Mr. Raizada, you need someone to take care of you!"

"I am fine!" he told him.

"As you say, here are the medicines!"

"Thank you, doctor!"

"Take care, Mr. Raizada!"

***
"Where are you taking this food?" Anjali said as they finally were home.

"To Arnav bhaiya's room, didi."

"Keep it back, if he needs it, he can take on his own!"

"But, Didi he has not eaten anything properly since morning!" HP was going to say, when Mami too asked him to listen to what Anjali said.

HP didn't protest and went to keep the food back in the kitchen.

"Khushi, bitiya. Just go and freshen up, your mama ji, and Akaash bhaiya will be coming home soon. It's dinner time!"

Khushi nodded and left.
***
Arnav was happy to see Khushi home, he was waiting for her since morning. He thanked god, his health was little better then before.

"Khushi, you home. Where you guys were? I had been waiting for you!"

"Here, sign these!" she said as she threw papers on the bed.

Arnav's face colour went pale, his feet went cold. His fears came true when he saw they were divorce papers.

"Khushi, please don't do this!" he said, as his heart beat in his throat.

"I have signed the papers, Arnav ji! You can sign them too!"

Arnav clumsily walked to her. Khushi thought he was drunk.

"Khushi, why are you doing this? Why don't you just give me one chance?"

Khushi pushed his hand away that held her arm. "I don't want to!" she said. "I can't take the burden of the marriage anymore! And are you drunk?"

"What no?" he said.

"Don't lie, from your eyes, I can tell!"

Arnav knew due to the sickness he might look he was drunk.

"Khushi, you said you love me!"

"I did. But not now, now I simply hate you. Next time don't even dare to touch me!" she said.

Arnav held her once again by her arm and pulled her towards himself, "really, Khushi? I think you gave me that right long time ago as me being your husband!" he said.

"That was just my mistake!" she said. She freed her hand and tossed the divorce papers in his hands. Arnav watched her go and then the papers in his hands.

He had made his mind up, he wasn't going to give divorce. He would not stop trying until his last breath or until she accepted him.

He went after Khushi. As she sat in the chair, in the dinning room, he said, "What has happened to all of you? Khushi, you are my wife, never I wanted to end this relationship. Never I said I do not want in my life!"

Khushi got up her chair, "but you did said you will not be able to give the place of a wife! And look at you, you look drunk. You even promised me that you will not drink!"

"Shame on you!" Anjali said in disgust.

"Can't believe even after drinking he is denying, look at yourself in the mirror!"

Arnav simply ignored them, HP wanted to jump in, but he knew he wasn't the right person to tell them they are misunderstanding him. Being a servant he thought he will be able to have that courage to tell them Arnav was sick.

"Khushi, there is a difference between saying and doing!"

"Arnav, for the past one year you have made her and our life hell, at least now please give us the sigh of relief!" Akaash said. "If you can allow us to eat!" he added.

"Khushi, you tell me what do you want?" Arnav once again ignored what others were saying.

"I told you, Arnav ji, that I want to be free from this marriage. You sign the papers all I want!"

Arnav stood numb, that's what she wanted was clearly written on her face.

"No chance to mend this relationship?" he asked.

"It never existed!" she said.

***
He fell on the bed with divorce papers in his hands. Tears rivered down his cheeks. He blankly stared at the ceiling.

How would he mend this broken relationships, when nobody was giving him one chance.

He cursed himself for being so foolish. He felt pain in his chest. His eyes stung, with his tears and fever. He laid back on the bed. Physically he was broken, emotionally, he was totally wrecked. He had just closed his eyes when Khushi came back after dinner. He opened his eyes and sat up.

"Khushi, shall we talk?!" he said.

Khushi didn't bother to listen him. She took all her clothes out of the cupboard and put in the briefcase.

"Khushi, where are you going? Please, Khushi, don't leave!"

"I cannot stay in this room of yours!"

Arnav was relieved that she wasn't leaving the house.

"Khushi, why are you so stubborn? Look you don't have to leave. You can stay in this room too, this is your house, I will move out to one of the guest rooms!"

Khushi stopped taking her clothes out. Arnav was thankful that at least she listened to him.

He put her clothes back and instead took his own out. Started putting them in the briefcase.

"Give me some time. Let me move my stuff out!" he said. He had a hope that she will stop him, but in the end all his hopes came out shattering. When in the next three hours he had moved his stuff to the guest room ignoring his health with the help of HP.

HP tried god best to put more effort so that he could help Arnav.

Arnav came back to say good night to her, Khushi gave him back the saree that he had brought for her tonight's anniversary party.

"I don't want to keep anything that is related to you!" she said and turned her back on him.

"This saree I had given to you. So you shall keep the right to do whatever you want to do with it, keep it, throw it, burn it, it is all your choice!"

"You are so shameless," she said angrily. "Just remember that your these sweet talks not going to change the fact that I hate you! And I would prefer it to throw it!" she said as she threw the box out the window.

He crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"To the least you think something of me," he said. "and I am happy you did something of the gift that I gave you," he said with a smile on his face but his heart ached. "Also, I will try until I will be able to change this hatred of yours once again into love!"

He could tell Khushi wasn't at all interested in listening him.

"Good night, Khushi!" he said and leant in kiss her cheek softly. Khushi's eyes widened in shock but then she closed it as she felt his warm cheeks and his lips on her soft skin. She just stood and let him kiss her. "If you need anything from me, tell me!" he said as he looked at her lovingly, and left even though he didn't want to.

***
Arnav just wanted to fell on the bed, but HP came.

"HP, is there anything that has left to give?" he asked.

"Bhaiya, you haven't eaten anything since morning. And I know you are not feeling well, please eat something!"

"Just keep this in mind, if you think by doing this I will increase your pay it won't happen!" he said but shortly laughed.

"Bhaiya, I won't mind if you don't give me the salary, but please eat something! I know you have to still eat your medicine!"

"Why are you doing this?" he asked.

"Because I know you are not bad at heart, bhaiya. When I needed something you were always there to help me. Other than giving you, your food, I can't do anything. Please, bhaiya, eat it and your medicine!"

"Don't worry, HP. Keep it and I will eat it later!"

"Bhaiya, I have to take these plates back!"

"Okay, mere bhai. First sir down and tell me, have you ever broken anybody's heart like me?" he said as he sat down on the chair to eat. HP quickly put the table in front of him so that he could eat properly.

"No, bhaiya. You cannot hurt anyone. Not intentionally!"

"Look, I am warning you, don't dare to tell me things thinking I will feel good!"

"Bhaiya, I won't say anything like that. But just think have your heart Khushi bhabi, intentionally? You will get every answer!"

Arnav was in deep thoughts, didn't know if he ever did so. "Alright, just go and get my medicine. And remember you don't have to tell anyone that I had called doctor in!"

"Bhaiya, please take care of yourself!"

"By the way, you can really make up good things!"

HP was smiling.

"Here, thank you for the food!" Arnav said and passed the empty plate to HP.

"Good night, bhaiya!"

***
Arnav was done setting his room, as he had nothing else to do, and sleep wasn't on his mind, he stood by the pool side of the guest room. Divorce papers were in his hands, every time he looked at them, it gave him heartaches. The worst pain he could ever imagine. The same pain he was given when Lavanya left him. The same pain when he saw Khushi in the worst condition ever.

He felt someone patting his shoulder.
"Lavanya!" he said as he looked around in shock. "You back!" he said happily.
Lavanya was quite, but she took divorce papers from his hands. "Do you really think these divorce papers can end the marriage?" she asked as she stood beside him.
"It doesn't end the relations, but marriage, yes!"
"Why don't you just rip these papers?" she said. "Are you really thinking of giving her divorce?"
"Not even in my dreams..." he wished he could say so. "No!" he said instead.
"Why this stupid crap of papers are in your hands then?" she asked.
"You know what, Lavanya?! I am struggling. I don't want to end this relationship, I know if I lost Khushi, I will have no one after her. And if this ended it means I am finished."
"You really want this easy way out of this problem?"
"No, I know Khushi is worth it. And not easy to get. When she needs me the most, with the need to give her respect, her every right, I can't back out."
"You know that this was the reason I loved you the most, Arnav! But lost you because of the silly mistake. I know you will win her back! Why don't you do me a favour? Go and sleep! The only reason I had to come back was to tell you don't punish yourself like this. Neither me, nor Khushi can see you in this condition. Although, she says she hates you. Doesn't matter how much she tries to hide it!"
"I feel alone!" he said, as with his words, his tears came out. There was a despair in he tone.
"No; you are not alone. I am always there with you. Your family, Khushi, is with you, they are hurt but they haven't outcast you."
"I wish I could feel that!" he said. He was sitting in the chair, thinking he was in la's lap.
"Arnav, sleep. You need it!" But then he thought of Khushi.
"La, I have to go to Khushi, she needs me!" he said raising his head up, but there was no Lavanya.
"Why he was imagining, Lavanya?" he thought.

***
He went to Khushi's room. As he was going to enter in the room, Anjali came as she too was going to her room to sleep.

"Where are you going?" she said without acknowledging him.
"To see my wife!"
Anjali was laughing as he had said a joke. "Atleast, let her sleep peacefully!" she said. "Why can't you just let her even do so? Why you have made your habit to hurt everyone who comes into your way? God knows, Lavanya would have died because of you!"

Arnav was looking at her in shock, as her last sentence knifed his heart into pieces.

Anjali all of sudden realized the harm that her words had done already.

"Cho...te, I...am...sorry. I didn't mean to say..." she stammered.

Arnav was walking backwards. He assured himself not to take her words to his heart. He didn't kill Lavanya.

"Chote, I didn't mean to say it. I am sorry, chote!" she covered her mouth.

She tried to move towards him and but he stopped her. Without any word, with his heart wounded, he was leaving.

Arnav closed and locked the door behind him as soon as he was in the room.

"Chote, please listen me, I am sorry, I didn't mean to say..." Anjali said.

"Di, I am fine...Just go!" he managed to say. Before he collapsed on the bed, as his body completely gave up on him.

***
In the morning, when HP came back with his morning coffee, he knocked on the door of Arnav's room. "Arnav, bhaiya!" After five minutes of knocking when Arnav didn't open the door, he knew he had to call the family. But then he stopped, when he heard the door open.

"HP, what's wrong?" he asked, he tried to sound fit.

"Bhaiya, I came to give you coffee! I was scared when you didn't opening the door!"

"Come here, stop worrying about every little thing, okay?! Now give me the coffee and do rest of your work. If I will need anything I will take it on my own!"

"Bhaiya; you look sick!"

"Haha...not drunk right?!" he joked.
"I am okay, yaar. Just go and get something to eat. I will eat my medicine and will be okay! And don't dare to tell anyone about this, I am warning you."

"I will try, bhaiya!"

"I will cut your salary," he said at his back and laughed.

As he was just going to turn back, he saw Khushi, he immediately turned. "Khushi, good morning! How are you feeling?"

"I am very well!" she said as she stopped. "Now please excuse me, I have to do preparations for Diwali."

He totally forgot today was Diwali, although he remembered until last night. "Happy Diwali, Khushi!"

"If you hadn't come in front of me, my Diwali would not have been ruined!" she remarked.

To the least, she was saying something to him, he thought. "I am sorry, to ruin your Diwali, Khushi. But hopefully, I won't ruin your rest of the day!"

"Hopefully, life too!" she muttered. He leant against the wall and smiled. He wondered if she was really mad, why she was even bothering herself to hear him.

"If you cannot be angry, why you pretend to?" he said.

"Would you be convinced if I throw something at you, to tell you that I am angry?"

He giggled, and forgot he was sick.
"Khushi, I forgot that today was Diwali, but I had bought a gift for you beforehand!!"

"Yes, give it to me, so that today, instead of throwing it, I burn it!"

His smile faded.

"Hmm...Why are you venting your anger on the gifts?"

"Because I wish just like your gifts, I could throw you or..." she controlled her tongue.

He smiled, "... burn me?" she completed her sentence. "In the condition you are stress and anger doesn't suits you. You know that you have just returned from the hospital! By the way, if you feel that could really end your anger towards me, try it any time!" he said.

Khushi was looking at him with a blank look on her face, and then she simply walked out of there.

Arnav was shaking his head. When she left, HP came with food so that Arnav could eat his medicine.

***
For whole day, Arnav made sure he indeed was out of the house. Later in the day when his health was detrimental he had to go to the hospital.

"Mr. Raizada, you did a mistake of coming so late!...Why isn't you family members here yet?"

"Doctor, I am telling you, my family members shouldn't know I was sick. I can deal with it, it's not a big deal, if you can't keep it secret, I can go somewhere else!"

"Mr. Raizada, I don't know why are you punishing yourself? You weren't just sick? You would have killed yourself, if you had not decided to get medical attention," Doctor said and he was on him, as he was ignoring his warnings.

"You tell me, you are a doctor, it's your job to treat me, what my family would do in this?"

"As you say, Mr. Raizada!" Doctor said as he finally gave up.

"Tell me when can I go home?"

"Mr. Raizada, for god sake, stop being stubborn. You are not leaving until you are feeling well!"

"What if I am saying I am perfectly fine? You doctors just want to make bills!" he said as he took out the cords out of his arms and hands that provided him glucose.

"Mr. Raizada, where are you going?"

"I am going home. Give me strong medicines, I know I will be fine!"

"Mr. Raizada, out of helplessness I have to call your family!"

"What the?" he growled.

"Mr. Raizada, you can call your family and tell them you are out of town, they won't know. This way you will be getting enough treatment. But please listen to me!"

Arnav didn't protest, well it was just 9:00 pm. And his family must have started celebrating Diwali.

He laid down. But then he heard Akaash's yelling and Payal's painful scream. He got up the bed. He saw them passing by his room. He saw his whole family was at the hospital. Seemed like Payal's baby was due. He was smiling, finally there would be some happiness at his home. He was happy that he was going to become a chacha.

He forgot he had to be resting, he rushed out of the room. Doctor tried to stop him but he didn't hear him.

***
"Khushi, mami ji, what happened?" Arnav asked.

The whole family was surprised to see him, and wondered how did he get here, but they didn't ask anything to him.

"Why do you worry?" Nani said instead. "Where were you whole day?"

"I was just trying to make everyone's Diwali perfect!" he said.

Khushi looked at him.

"Now, you could please tell me, what has happened?"

"Chote, Payal's water broke, and she felt contractions as we were celebrating Diwali," Anjali said as she was sorry for her said words.

"It's a good news," he said.
"I am sure it will be a girl!" he added. looking at Khushi. As he ever wishes he could give this happiness to Khushi, she loved kids. Khushi was afraid as why he was looking at her.

"Why do you think it will always happen in what you believe in?" she asked.

"Are you talking to me?" he asked.

"Yes, I am talking to you, why are you here? Why didn't you let us celebrate this little bundle of happiness without ruining our moods?!"

Anjali wanted to say something to soothe his pain as that they now were deliberately giving him. And her last night words did have done lot of harm.

Arnav kept looking at Khushi. "I am sorry, that I ruined your and your family's mood!" he said. "Happy Diwali to everyone. And also, congratulations for the baby girl, Akaash bhai. I know she must be like her mother and you!" he said as he was so assured that it will be a girl.

Everyone looked at him as he left from their, he wiped his tears, and put his shade on. So that nobody could see his broken state.

"Mr. Raizada, please rest!" Doctor said as he was finally in the room, but only to grab his wallet and phone.

"Doctor, my ill health's cure is not your tablets," saying this he left.

He wasn't incorrect regarding the baby girl. Doctor came out of the maternity ward and told them, Payal had given birth to a baby girl. Everyone was surprised at Arnav's prediction as Akaash and Payal had kept the gender of the baby a surprise.

Arnav had stayed at the hospital, but refused to get any medical attention. Even when doctor forced him. As he thought he would pull himself out of his illness seeing his family happy, and for the new addition in their family. He stood outside the room from where no one could see him, but he could see them clearly.

He saw Khushi picking Payal's baby girl in her hands. First she was scared to hold it, he could clearly tell, but once she had the baby girl in her arms, she was looking at the little life in awe.

"Bhabi, she indeed looks like you and her nose and her eyes are like Akaash bhaiya!"

"I can't really tell," Payal said. "But we always wanted our first child to be a baby girl!"

Anjali and Khushi were looking at each other.

Arnav wanted to go in and hold the baby girl in his hands, but he was resisting. They were happy and looked perfect and it clearly convinced him that he was not needed.

Khushi passed the baby girl to Anjali.

"Bhabi, indeed you are very lucky that you have a baby girl! Congratulations to both of you!"

"Didn't Arnav come?" Payal asked.

"He came but we asked him to leave!" Mami ji said.

"Khushi, bitiya, we have to prepare for Payal's and her baby girl welcome!" Mami ji said before they could spoil their moods.

They were making sure they were doing everything to keep Khushi happy, and busy.

"Don't worry, Mami ji! I will do it."

"Khushi ji, I come with you!"

"No, di, Payal bhabi needs you. I am okay!"

"Khushi, bitiya, then I come with you," Nani said.

Khushi nodded.

As they both left the maternity ward, Arnav was standing in front of them.

"Nani, where are you going?" he asked.

Although, they both have decided to not to say anything, he went after them.

He opened the door for Nani and Khushi so that they could make their way out of the hospital.

As they were at the parking lot, Arnav felt his head spinning. He just prayed that he is okay atleast he was in front of Nani and Khushi.

He sat in the front seat and Khushi and Nani in the back as their driver drove the car.

He adjusted the rear view mirror so that he could see Khushi. She was trying hard to pretend she wasn't aware he was looking at her through the rear view mirror.

Instead she busied herself to talk to Nani. And he simply watched her. Having no idea it was so hard for him to take his eyes off her. A pleasant smile was on his face. Then he saw even she was looking at him, but only for a while.

He smiled to himself when Khushi looked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment